Author Topic: We will make Kenya the capital city of freelancers in the world  (Read 3303 times)

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
We will make Kenya the capital city of freelancers in the world
« on: February 21, 2017, 01:11:52 PM »
The state is banking on the Ajira Digital
Programme to find online jobs for a
million youth The ICT ministry in November last year
launched the Ajira Digital Programme,
an initiative that aims to connect more
than a million youth to online jobs.
CHARLES KERICH spoke to Information CS
Joe Mucheru about the feasibility of the project.

www.the-star.co.ke/news/2017/02/20/monday-interview-we-will-make-kenya-the-capital-city-of-freelancers-in_c1509012

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
Re: We will make Kenya the capital city of freelancers in the world
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 03:02:48 PM »
After 5 years there is no policy on most program-mes, so the high unemployment.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 07:22:00 PM »
Truly, a country run by idiots.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 09:11:29 PM »
The guy looks so inwxperieced and young to even know what "policy" means. Kibaki had a policy of expanding the economy, not Uhuru.

Online Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 09:42:46 PM »
BPOs like Kencall have been around so this is not entirely new, just going mainstream. Availability of highspeed internet CHEAPLY is key here.

At least this guy is upto something.
♫♫ They say all good boys go to heaven... but bad boys bring heaven to you ~ song by Julia Michaels

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 11:44:50 PM »
BPOs like Kencall have been around so this is not entirely new, just going mainstream. Availability of highspeed internet CHEAPLY is key here.

And what might that something be?  I have read that article and also gone through the website  http://ajiradigital.go.ke/  and I can't tell.   

- For example, he speaks of trainers training trainers training trainers ... quickly reaching 1 million, and one can indeed apply at the website to be trainer.   Except  that it's unpaid work, which unlikely to attract anyone; but it is on that basis that the CS states that "We are making it easier, ensuring there will be quality workers available".

- There is a "Find Work" link that leads to some links that anyone using Google to find such work can readily find on their own (and find more and better of) and a few links that are useless.

- Similarly there is a "Resources" link that leads to pointers to the obvious or the useless.

The library at my local community centre actually has a much better website for the unemployed, and it has very few resources for that: just one guy who, volunteering 2 hrs per week!, scans the web and collects information.  But in Kenya, this Ajira joke is what a cabinet talks about as some great national initiative?!?  BPO?!? That's very, very funny.  Go through the website; that will take all of 5 minutes, which is probably the time it took to put it together!.

The guy talks as though all this going to lead to substantial employment for serious numbers of Kenyans and how they are starting with 40,000 and plan to reach 1 million.    But his 40,000 are just people who have registered some place; there is nothing to suggest that they are finding gainful work or even qualified to do much.  It's pretty much like an Unemployment Service measuring success in addressing unemployment by counting how many people it has registered as needy.

Every so often, while trying to watch something on Youtube, I come across an ad from a guy who's selling "the laptop lifestyle".    One is shown the guy's fancy house, cars, beautiful girlfriends ... and told it can all be done from a laptop--wherever, whenever, however one pleases ....  for the free videos (worth $99.95) just click on the link below and provide your credit card details (to cover shipping and handling of $3.95).  The CS seems to be their kind of guy; as he puts it,  in their language:

You don't have to work so many hours; you can work four hours a day and still earn enough and then be able to do other things. It gives people even more freedom.

And then there are the "serious" types---academics etc.---who have plenty to say on things like "the future of work".      The CS sounds like he has swallowed whole all of that.     Sample this:

In the past, people would go to a specific office, work there, close and go home.

Actually, right now--and even in the most "digitally advanced" places---that how most people still work, if they have a decent job.  (Replace the CS's telling  "office" with "work place" or whatever.) Those are the kind of jobs that people are studying hard to get or working hard to keep.    Those are the jobs that Kenyans bribe for.   

Here's another funny one:

If it is an accounting person you need, you probably need them for just the last week of the month, but because of the current structures, you pay them for the whole month.

Of course!   That's when people get paid and there's money to make anything happen!  The CS showing his Kenyan end-of-the-month mentality.       

In some cases, the CS makes statements whose implications are actually quite staggering but which has obviously not thought about:.   Here's one:

Today, some network operators provide unlimited internet for about Sh35 a day. A bottle of water is about Sh50.

(I won't get into what "unlimited internet" means in Kenya.)

He is trying to convey the idea that unlimited network is quite cheap.   But:

- That is around Sh. 1,000 per month, which is around 10% o the average monthly wage!
- Bottled water is some thing that those who ca afford it buy because running tap water is either unavailable or likely to cause cholera. A real issue.

Given the way things are going with Konza City---I'm told the Silicon Savanah is Africa's answer to Silicon Valley---perhaps it will be all virtual: people working just a few hours per day and then having the freedom to enjoy the digital lifestyle (as seen on TV).

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 06:13:40 PM »
During Kibaki's time thigs were implemented. These people are paid $20,000 just to go around talking with nothign to show. Konza was an idea during Kibakis time, and they are still talking. Infrastructure is what kenya needs. Leave others to private industry. Am told Karatina Market was never finished after Kibaki left, a huge resouce for businesses to use instead of roadside hawking.

And what might that something be?  I have read that article and also gone through the website  http://ajiradigital.go.ke/  and I can't tell.   

- For example, he speaks of trainers training trainers training trainers ... quickly reaching 1 million, and one can indeed apply at the website to be trainer.   Except  that it's unpaid work, which unlikely to attract anyone; but it is on that basis that the CS states that "We are making it easier, ensuring there will be quality workers available".

- There is a "Find Work" link that leads to some links that anyone using Google to find such work can readily find on their own (and find more and better of) and a few links that are useless.

- Similarly there is a "Resources" link that leads to pointers to the obvious or the useless.

The library at my local community centre actually has a much better website for the unemployed, and it has very few resources for that: just one guy who, volunteering 2 hrs per week!, scans the web and collects information.  But in Kenya, this Ajira joke is what a cabinet talks about as some great national initiative?!?  BPO?!? That's very, very funny.  Go through the website; that will take all of 5 minutes, which is probably the time it took to put it together!.

The guy talks as though all this going to lead to substantial employment for serious numbers of Kenyans and how they are starting with 40,000 and plan to reach 1 million.    But his 40,000 are just people who have registered some place; there is nothing to suggest that they are finding gainful work or even qualified to do much.  It's pretty much like an Unemployment Service measuring success in addressing unemployment by counting how many people it has registered as needy.

Every so often, while trying to watch something on Youtube, I come across an ad from a guy who's selling "the laptop lifestyle".    One is shown the guy's fancy house, cars, beautiful girlfriends ... and told it can all be done from a laptop--wherever, whenever, however one pleases ....  for the free videos (worth $99.95) just click on the link below and provide your credit card details (to cover shipping and handling of $3.95).  The CS seems to be their kind of guy; as he puts it,  in their language:

You don't have to work so many hours; you can work four hours a day and still earn enough and then be able to do other things. It gives people even more freedom.

And then there are the "serious" types---academics etc.---who have plenty to say on things like "the future of work".      The CS sounds like he has swallowed whole all of that.     Sample this:

In the past, people would go to a specific office, work there, close and go home.

Actually, right now--and even in the most "digitally advanced" places---that how most people still work, if they have a decent job.  (Replace the CS's telling  "office" with "work place" or whatever.) Those are the kind of jobs that people are studying hard to get or working hard to keep.    Those are the jobs that Kenyans bribe for.   

If it is an accounting person you need, you probably need them for just the last week of the month, but because of the current structures, you pay them for the whole month.

Of course!   That's when people get paid and there's money to make anything happen!  The CS showing his Kenyan end-of-the-month mentality.       

In some cases, the CS makes statements whose implications are actually quite staggering but which has obviously not thought about:.   Here's one:

Today, some network operators provide unlimited internet for about Sh35 a day. A bottle of water is about Sh50.

- That is around Sh. 1,000 per month, which is around 10% o the average monthly wage!
- Bottled water is some thing that those who ca afford it buy because running tap water is either unavailable or likely to cause cholera. A real issue.

Given the way things are going with Konza City---I'm told the Silicon Savanah is Africa's answer to Silicon Valley---perhaps it will be all virtual: people working just a few hours per day and then having the freedom to enjoy the digital lifestyle (as seen on TV).

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 09:50:18 PM »

Mucheru has been in IT since ages (Wanainchi Online, Google, and Bitpesa). What he's doing is Kenyan Newspeak (1984) before systematic looting takes place. This project is going nowhere...and he knows it.

With his background, he surely knows how India has practically corned the market he's promising Kenyans. Heck, even Trump's sick and tired of all the Indians in Silicon Valley.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 11:08:58 PM »
Mucheru has been in IT since ages (Wanainchi Online, Google, and Bitpesa). What he's doing is Kenyan Newspeak (1984) before systematic looting takes place. This project is going nowhere...and he knows it.

With his background, he surely knows how India has practically corned the market he's promising Kenyans. Heck, even Trump's sick and tired of all the Indians in Silicon Valley.

My judgement of this as idiotic is basely solely on the the CS's comments in that interview and poking around his website: the game, not the man.    That he has been around for ages, in IT, only makes this Ajira thing more embarrassing as national initiative.       

The Indian stuff you mention is serious and real work, and it would be something (I guess) for the Kenyan government to work towards having the infrastructure, the people with the skills, etc. for such work. But what is our CS offering or even promising here?    I guess you have probably not  taken a close look at the website?    I have.   With some time to amuse myself this morning, I even registered as a "worker", i.e. one of the million-per-year Kenyans who are going to get employment out of this. Try it; it's interesting and entertaining to see what the thinking is behind this, if there is any.  (If you don't have a national id #, which is required, don't worry; the system will take any random string of at least seven digits, as long as it's not 1234567... "obvious" patterns all give "that Id is already in use".)

As far as I can tell, all that Ajira is providing is a list of links to websites on "online work", and, not having heard of Ajira, they all require that you register independently with them.  (And so Ajira helps how?)    There is also training provided: links to websites offering free online courses etc. on all sorts of things.   A million+ jobs to be got from proving a few links that are available to pretty much anyone, anywhere in the world?

To be fair, under the "Find work", there is a genuine Kenyan initiative for the one-million-plus-per-year that need employment.     That's this one:    http://ajiradigital.go.ke/mpost  .   Interesting.   Sh. 50 or Sh. 65 per sale.    What's the current "mobile-phone penetration" in Kenya? How many will require the mobile-phone services of others and sign up for this one ... Kenyans who send and receive letters and parcels but don't have a phone of their own?  How many agents can make anything resembling a decent living out of this one?

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 11:38:45 PM »

My judgement of this as idiotic is basely solely on the the CS's comments in that interview and poking around his website: the game, not the man.    That he has been around for ages, in IT, only makes this Ajira thing more embarrassing as national initiative.       

The Indian stuff you mention is serious and real work, and it would be something (I guess) for the Kenyan government to work towards having the infrastructure, the people with the skills, etc. for such work. But what is our CS offering or even promising here?    I guess you have probably not  taken a close look at the website?    I have.   With some time to amuse myself this morning, I even registered as a "worker", i.e. one of the million-per-year Kenyans who are going to get employment out of this. Try it; it's interesting and entertaining to see what the thinking is behind this, if there is any.  (If you don't have a national id #, which is required, don't worry; the system will take any random string of at least seven digits, as long as it's not 1234567... "obvious" patterns all give "that Id is already in use".)

As far as I can tell, all that Ajira is providing is a list of links to websites on "online work", and, not having heard of Ajira, they all require that you register independently with them.  (And so Ajira helps how?)    There is also training provided: links to websites offering free online courses etc. on all sorts of things.   A million+ jobs to be got from proving a few links that are available to pretty much anyone, anywhere in the world?

To be fair, under the "Find work", there is a genuine Kenyan initiative for the one-million-plus-per-year that need employment.     That's this one:    http://ajiradigital.go.ke/mpost  .   Interesting.   Sh. 50 or Sh. 65 per sale.    What's the current "mobile-phone penetration" in Kenya? How many will require the mobile-phone services of others and sign up for this one ... Kenyans who send and receive letters and parcels but don't have a phone of their own?  How many agents can make anything resembling a decent living out of this one?
I actually tried the site late last year, when it was first initially launched. That's when I immediately sussed out it was a complete waste of time.

I even wondered why the gava didn't even think of working together with iHub, until I remembered our eating culture.

Edit: forgot to link this review by Walter Akolo from last year, where he pointed out a lot of the problems with is nonsense: http://freelancerkenya.com/money-online/ajira-digital-future-online-jobs-kenya/

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 02:14:06 AM »
I even wondered why the gava didn't even think of working together with iHub, until I remembered our eating culture.

Er, em ... what work would that be?   Trawling the web for links to "online work", which is what Ajira is doing?     :D

Edit: forgot to link this review by Walter Akolo from last year, where he pointed out a lot of the problems with is nonsense: http://freelancerkenya.com/money-online/ajira-digital-future-online-jobs-kenya/

Pretty good article, and many thanks for the links, although there are numerous "questionable" points ... especially on the "Pros" of Ajira.  Is having a listening admin really a "pro", considering what the website is supposed to be about?   "Awareness" isn't too bad, but does anyone with the skills, knowledge, and equipment (including Google)  for "online work" really need the government to tell them that such work exists "and here are the links"?   

Comment from a reader of the Akolo article:

How can a real govt. create a site to direct Kenyan youths to third party sites they have no clue about? ... better ... outsourcing some of the government jobs to the site rather than directing clueless youths to the jungle.

"Possible provision of tools of trade such as easy access to computers and internet for the disadvantaged"  as a "Pro" would be of some small help, but that doesn't appear to be included in this Ajira thing ... although it is claimed in the "advertising".  One comment:

those computers being used by class one pupils would have been more beneficial to struggling writers who cannot afford a PC to work online.

Mostly on the mark on the "Cons".   E.g.   

Many young people will rush to Ajira to look for online jobs with a dream of finally making it and earning a decent living.

The fact that some people will not earn as well as they think will lead to an increase in depression and hopelessness among youth, which is dangerous to a society.

This is what really bothers me about this sort of thing. Youth unemployment is a "ticking bomb" in Kenya, and it doesn't help to have a government that goes for gimmicks rather than what is required to address the real problem. Do we have to wait until the idle youth start to destroy society, in the name of getting their fair share?   And it will happen small-small, starting with an increase in serious criminality.  Not too long ago, as an African country, we would have had the "rebel army" to absorb them and their energy.   But now?   Unless there is a dramatic change in things, Kenya is heading towards some very serious problems with its unemployed youth.

A reader's comment at the Aloko article:

Your Aloko friend partly gets it with this one:

We do not need 1 million workers joining a struggling pool. We need more jobs created that the 1 million workers will come to.

His general concerns about Mucheru's new Kenyans flooding the market are, in my opinion, off the mark.    There's little danger of that as long as Indians, Filipinos, Nigerians, etc. are willing to procreate.     In any case, a million registered at Ajira does not necessarily mean a million people with the abilities to offer real competition.

Thanks for the link; I enjoyed reading the article.   But it's a pity that your buddy had to end with Mucheru-like/Dreamer  optimism:

That's not going to happen, assuming he has in mind the sort of work that is being discussed here.   Not even in Kenyan shillings.    Some of the reasons for that view are implicit in his own article.   

But then again, maybe not.    You mentioned our eating culture.   Yes, why not.   I can readily imagine people being contracted by the government to help Ajira with jobs, trainers, mentors, ... paid in cash, carried off in gunias.   No IT skills needed, even hairdressing will do.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 05:24:02 PM »
I am no longer sure why we have an ICT Ministry in Kenya.  Technology is important, but I am questioning the need for such a Ministry.  What are they trying to do when they show up for work on a weekday?
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 08:46:15 PM »
Thanks for the link; I enjoyed reading the article.   But it's a pity that your buddy had to end with Mucheru-like/Dreamer  optimism:

Ain't my buddy.  :D :D :D :D

Guy realized, a couple of years back, that online work wasn't quite so profitable therefore started (and crashed) a successful investment business with Charles Ponzi's seal of approval.

Mucheru found a way to siphon millions from starving Kenyans. I mean, if a governor can blow Sh2m for opening a Facebook page and another spend Sh109'000 on wheelbarrows (made of stainless and non-carcinogenic material  :D), what did this website cost, among other expenses (website hosting, etc.)?

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 05:02:28 AM »
The state is banking on the Ajira Digital Programme to find online jobs for a million youth The ICT ministry in November last year launched the Ajira Digital Programme, an initiative that aims to connect more than a million youth to online jobs.

I registered yesterday as one of the "million youth" looking for lucrative online work.    I put in a very impressive CV that I found by doing a Google search on "Sample CV for IT job". I am pleased to report that Ajira has accepted my registration.   The "welcome MOON Ki!" letter does not have much---actually nothing---on exactly how I will find work, which is what I registered for, but it contains a pretty good offer:

Tell your friends and family about Ajira!

If you have friends or family that you have always tried to convert to online workers send them to Ajira Digital and ask them to sign up.
Share the below link with your friends on Whatsapp or email today.
http://ajiradigital.go.ke/profile

For each friend that mentions you when they sign up for Ajira - you will get points towards a prize giveaways including vouchers for online courses, data bundles and more.

All the best!

Ajira Digital
Central Command Center
Tel: 020 2082345

Telposta Towers 10th Floor, Kenyatta Ave, Nairobi

I am now asking for the support of all my friends here.   Mention MOON Ki, National ID No. 812345678.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 05:12:53 PM »
The state is banking on the Ajira Digital Programme to find online jobs for a million youth The ICT ministry in November last year launched the Ajira Digital Programme, an initiative that aims to connect more than a million youth to online jobs.

I registered yesterday as one of the "million youth" looking for lucrative online work.    I put in a very impressive CV that I found by doing a Google search on "Sample CV for IT job". I am pleased to report that Ajira has accepted my registration.   The "welcome MOON Ki!" letter does not have much---actually nothing---on exactly how I will find work, which is what I registered for, but it contains a pretty good offer:

Tell your friends and family about Ajira!

If you have friends or family that you have always tried to convert to online workers send them to Ajira Digital and ask them to sign up.
Share the below link with your friends on Whatsapp or email today.
http://ajiradigital.go.ke/profile

For each friend that mentions you when they sign up for Ajira - you will get points towards a prize giveaways including vouchers for online courses, data bundles and more.

All the best!

Ajira Digital
Central Command Center
Tel: 020 2082345

Telposta Towers 10th Floor, Kenyatta Ave, Nairobi

I am now asking for the support of all my friends here.   Mention MOON Ki, National ID No. 812345678.

Reward points is just what the unemployed millions could use.  Reminds me a bit about how Republicans like saying the solution to lack of health insurance is to provide more choice.  Mucheru seems to have lost it.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman